Are used tires safe to install on your vehicle? And furthermore, why would anyone buy used tires for their vehicle versus new tires?
Some Things You Shouldn’t Buy Used
Just like any equipment you install or replace on your vehicle, you expect to get the maximum amount of service from your investment. If you buy a new battery, you expect it to live up to the warranty whatever it might be. You probably wouldn’t want to buy a used battery.
If you install new brakes on your vehicle, you expect to not have any brake related issues for a relatively long time. You probably wouldn’t want to buy used brake pads.
Fan belts, radiator hoses, shocks and struts: these are just a few of the parts on your vehicle where installing used equipment just doesn’t make sense.
Used Tires Are A Bit Different
Tires, on the other hand, might be viewed a bit differently. Tires are an integral part of your vehicle’s performance and safety. However, buying used tires (reasons why you might are listed below) might be an option for you.
Used tires won’t break and leave you stranded like a used fan belt could. Used tires won’t cause your engine to overheat like used radiator hoses might. Used tires can be a good investment if the situation is right for you.
Things to Consider When Buying Used Tires
When considering buying and installing used tires, there are several factors to consider.
- Is there is a reasonable amount of tread life remaining?
- Do the tires show any measurable amount of weather related damage, aka dry rotting or scaling?
- Have the tires been inspected by a tire professional for leaks and other damage?
- Do the tires’ tread patterns match fairly close to the ones you’re replacing?
Buying used tires, while not even being a consideration for some people, might save others a considerable amount of money given the appropriate circumstances. When might you consider buying used tires?
- If your budget won’t allow you to buy new tires
- If you are considering selling or trading your vehicle in the not too distant future and you need tires to get you by for a few months (or longer)
- You have fairly good tires on your car and one or two of them become un-repairable. You might replace one or two tires with used tires and buy a new set when the others need replacing.
- With today’s exotic tire sizes, buying a set of good used tires which will last you for a good while can save you hundreds of dollars versus buying a new set.
The most important issue to consider when buying new or used tires is safety. Postle Tire Barn has been selling hi-grade used tires (and new tires) for more than 35 years. Postle Tire Barn inspects and grades every used tire we sell. We also check for leaks to make sure you never have any issues with any used tire we sell.
With over 12,000 new and used tires in stock, Postle Tire Barn will have the selection and price you’re looking for. We’ve been in the tire business in West Alabama for more than 35 years, and our goal is to provide our customers with hometown customer service, honesty and courtesy.
Visit us today in Tuscaloosa on Jug Factory Road behind McDonald’s.