Restoring the Glory of Old Lawn Furniture with Powder Coating
Outdoor furniture adds charm and functionality to our yards and gardens. Over time, however, exposure to the elements can take a toll on these pieces, leaving them worn, faded, and rusted. Rather than discarding your old metal lawn furniture, consider revitalizing it with a durable and cost-effective solution: powder coating. In this article, we will explore the benefits of powder coating and describe the step-by-step process we normally use to transform your beloved but weathered lawn furniture.
What is Powder Coating?
Powder coating is a high-quality finishing technique that involves applying a fine powder to a metal surface. The powder is then baked onto the surface, forming a durable and protective layer. This process offers numerous advantages over traditional paint, such as enhanced durability, resistance to chipping, cracking, and fading, and a wide range of color options.
Benefits of Powder Coating for Lawn Furniture:
Powder-coated surfaces are highly resistant to scratches, corrosion, and UV damage, making them ideal for outdoor furniture. Your revamped lawn furniture will be able to withstand the elements and maintain its vibrant appearance for years to come.
2. Color Options:
Powder coating provides an extensive selection of colors and finishes, allowing you to choose the perfect look to match your style and outdoor decor. Whether you prefer bold and vibrant hues or subtle and elegant tones, there is a powder coating option to suit your taste.
Unlike traditional painting methods, powder coating is environmentally friendly. The process produces minimal volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and eliminates the need for solvents, reducing harmful emissions.
Powder coating is a cost-effective solution for restoring old lawn furniture. While the initial investment may be slightly higher than repainting, the longevity and low maintenance of powder-coated surfaces make it a more economical choice in the long run.
Step-by-Step Guide to How We Powder Coat Old Metal Lawn Furniture:
Step 1: Preparation
-We start by thoroughly cleaning the furniture to remove dirt, rust, and old paint. We use a wire brush or sandpaper to smooth any rough areas and create a clean surface for to adhere to.
– We make sure the furniture is completely dry before proceeding.
Step 2: Sandblasting (if necessary)
– If your furniture has significant rust or multiple layers of paint, sandblasting may be required to strip the surface completely. This step ensures optimal adhesion for the powder coating.
Step 3: Application
– We wear protective gloves, a dust mask, and safety goggles before starting the application process.
– We apply the coating evenly to the furniture using an electrostatic sprayer or powder coating gun, ensuring that all surfaces are adequately covered.
– We let the coated furniture sit for a few minutes to allow the powder to settle.
Step 4: Curing
– We use a dedicated curing oven set to the manufacturer’s recommended temperature (typically around 400°F or 204°C).
– We place the furniture in the oven and bake it for the specified duration, usually between 20 and 30 minutes. This process melts the powder coating, allowing it to bond with the metal surface.
Step 5: Cooling and Finishing
– Once the curing process is complete, we turn off the oven and allow the furniture to cool down naturally.
– We inspect the finished product for any imperfections or uneven coverage. We touch up any areas if necessary.
Reviving your old lawn furniture with powder coating is a fantastic way to breathe new life into your outdoor space. The durable and vibrant finish will protect your furniture from the elements and provide long-lasting beauty. By following the step-by-step guide we’ve developed, we transform your weathered pieces into eye-catching and functional additions to your garden or patio. Embrace the opportunity to repurpose and revitalize your beloved lawn furniture, and enjoy many more seasons of outdoor relaxation and enjoyment.
Do you have some lawn furniture that looks rough but is too good to throw away? Our powder coating shop is one of the best in the Southeast! Postle Tire Barn can make old things look new again. Give us a call! We’ve served the Tuscaloosa and West Alabama area for more than 40 years.